Changes in Pronoun of the reported speech, Narration

Muhammad  saleem
0

 

Rule No. 4.

Changes in Pronoun:

The pronoun (or subject) of reported speech is sometimes changed according to the pronoun (or subject) or Object of the reported verb (first sentence of Direct speech). The possessive pronouns (i.e. his, her, my, there, your, etc.) may also change according to the subject or object of the first sentence.

   

Subjective

Pronouns.

Objective

Pronouns.

Possessive

Pronouns.

Possessive

Adjective.

Emphatic

Pronouns.

Person and number.

I

ME

MINE

MY

MYSELF

1st singular

WE

US

OURS

OUR

OURSELVES

1st singular

YOU

YOU

YOURS

YOUTHIEIR

YOURSELF

2nd

Singular/plural

THEY

THEM

THEIRS

THEIR

THEMSELF

3rd

Singular/plural

HE

HIM

HIS

HIS

HIMSELF

3rd

Singular/plural

SHE

HER

HERS

HER

HERSELF

3rd

Singular/plural

IT

IT

ITS

ITS

ITSELF

3rd

Singular/plural



Explanation with examples:

Sentences using objective pronouns in indirect speech:

1.    She said that she had seen him at the store.

2.    He mentioned that they were following us closely.

3.    She told me that she would help them with their project.

4.    He explained that I needed to meet her for the briefing.

5.    They said that they had already invited him to the party.

6.    She informed us that she was waiting for you.

7.    He asked if I had given her the message.

8.    She remarked that they had forgotten to call him.

9.    He mentioned that she needed to contact us as soon as possible.

10. She told him that she was going to visit them next week.

1.    He said that he would call us later.

2.    They explained that they were worried about him.

3.    She asked if you had seen them at the event.

4.    He said that she had called me earlier.

5.    She told us that she had met him before.

6.    He mentioned joining us after he finished with them.

7.    She said that she had been looking for us all day.

8.    They informed me that she would be bringing him along.

9.    He mentioned that you should contact her directly.

10. She told them that they needed to speak with us soon.

11. He said that she would send it to me.

12. She informed him that they had completed the work.

13. He told me that he would explain it to them.

14. She asked if he had seen us arrive.

15. They said that they were going to update him on the situation.

16. He mentioned that she had already sent it to you.

17. She told us that they were asking for him.

18. He said that he would fix it for me.

19. She informed me that they had invited her to the conference.

20. He mentioned that they were waiting for us at the café.

Sentences using possessive pronoun in indirect speech:

1. **She said that her car was parked outside.**

2. **He mentioned that his keys were lost.**

3. **They told me that their house was on the market.**

4. **She asked if I had seen her phone.**

5. **He noted that his appointment was rescheduled.**

6. **She explained that her book was missing from the shelf.**

7. **They remarked that their vacation was planned for next month.**

8. **He complained that his computer was acting up.**

9. **She shared that her mother’s birthday was coming soon.**

10. **He indicated that his team had won the match.**

11. **She informed us that her friend’s wedding was on Saturday.**

12. **They said that their favorite restaurant had closed.**

13. **He revealed that his dog was sick.**

14. **She mentioned that her project was almost finished.**

15. **He noted that his proposal had been accepted.**

16. **She told me that her cat had gone missing.**

17. **He said that his parents were visiting him.**

18. **They stated that their meeting had been postponed.**

19. **She informed me that her brother was coming over.**

20. **He remarked that his laptop needed repairs.**

21. **She asked if I had read her letter.**

22. **He mentioned that his vacation plans were delayed.**

23. **They said that their new office was very spacious.**

24. **She told us that her new car was arriving soon.**

25. **He noted that his favorite band was on tour.**

26. **She explained that her flight was canceled.**

27. **They remarked that their garden was flourishing.**

28. **He mentioned that his watch was broken.**

29. **She informed us that her brother’s wedding was next month.**

30. **They said that their dog had chewed up his shoes.**

Sentences using possessive adjectives in indirect speech:

1. **She said that her book was missing.**

2. **He mentioned that his car had broken down.**

3. **They told me that their house was under renovation.**

4. **She explained that my report was on her desk.**

5. **He said that their meeting was scheduled for tomorrow.**

6. **She noted that his computer was having issues.**

7. **He remarked that her phone had been left in the office.**

8. **They said that our project was almost complete.**

9. **She informed us that his flight was delayed.**

10. **He told me that her email had been sent.**

11. **She mentioned that their appointment was canceled.**

12. **He explained that my documents were on his desk.**

13. **They said that our tickets had been booked.**

14. **She remarked that his presentation was well-prepared.**

15. **He told us that her car needed repairs.**

16. **She said that their dinner reservation was for 7 PM.**

17. **He mentioned that my proposal had been accepted.**

18. **They informed me that her office was being renovated.**

19. **She told me that his schedule was fully booked.**

20. **He said that their application was under review.**

21. **She noted that my appointment had been rescheduled.**

22. **He remarked that her project was due next week.**

23. **They mentioned that our documents were approved.**

24. **She said that his meeting had been postponed.**

25. **He informed me that her work had been completed.**

26. **She told us that their plans had changed.**

27. **He mentioned that my keys were found.**

28. **They said that her presentation had been impressive.**

29. **She explained that his reservation was confirmed.**

30. **He noted that our delivery was expected soon.**

Sentences using Emphatic Pronouns in indirect speech:

 

Emphatic pronouns are used to emphasize the subject of a sentence. They are formed by adding "-self" or "-selves" to a personal pronoun (e.g., "myself," "yourself," "themselves"). Here are sentences using emphatic pronouns in indirect speech:

1.    She said that she herself had completed the assignment.

2.    He mentioned that they themselves had organized the event.

3.    She told me that you yourself should handle the situation.

4.    He explained that he himself would take responsibility for the project.

5.    They said that she herself had chosen the location.

6.    She informed us that he himself had fixed the issue.

7.    He noted that I myself needed to approve the document.

8.    She remarked that they themselves had painted the house.

9.    He mentioned that she herself would handle the negotiations.

10. She said that we ourselves needed to solve the problem.

11. He told me that you yourself should read the instructions.

12. She noted that they themselves had prepared the presentation.

13. He explained that I myself had to attend the meeting.

14. She said that he himself had written the report.

15. They informed me that she herself had selected the team.

16. He mentioned that we ourselves needed to review the contract.

17. She said that they themselves had designed the new logo.

18. He noted that I myself had to confirm the reservation.

19. She remarked that he himself had taken the photographs.

20. He told me that they themselves would handle the arrangements.

21. She said that you yourself should call them back.

22. He mentioned that she herself had cleaned the entire house.

23. They informed us that I myself needed to sign the form.

24. She said that he himself would be presenting the results.

25. He explained that we ourselves were responsible for the update.

26. She noted that they themselves had managed the entire project.

27. He mentioned that you yourself should review the report.

28. She said that he himself had designed the website.

29. They told me that she herself had resolved the issue.

30. He said that I myself had to finalize the details.

Examples:

1. Direct Speech:

 He said, “I eat two apples”.

Indirect Speech:

 He said that he ate two apples.

2. Direct Speech:

She said to me, “I like your book”.

Indirect Speech:

 She said to me that she liked my book.

 

Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)